Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

Last night I watched the National Memorial Day concert on IPTV.  Cried the whole time.  What a wonderful tribute, especially to the returning veterans and their families.  Very moving.  Then, this morning I participated in Oskaloosa's Memorial Day program.  It had to be indoors so I missed the beautiful setting of Forest Cemetery but the ceremony was still very reverent and inspiring.  Plus side - no muddy shoes or folding chairs sinking into the ground!  Or bugs!

Tomorrow I will finish school for the year.  My principal and his family had a baby on Saturday, so I don't know how that will affect check out.  My teaching companion and friend, Kathi, has retired.  Her reception on Friday was tough for me emotionally - I couldn't do a tribute as I should have.  Luckily Kathi understands.  She's the one I spend time with every school morning - we call it having coffee but we rarely actually drink the stuff.  I will sorely miss her and will need to push myself to get out of my room at noon so I don't become isolated.    She can't be at school tomorrow so I will go again on Wednesday to help her move some things. 

I have started my summer plans - babysitting for Charley and Drew once a week or so; visiting Emily, Dallas and Noelle as often as I can; visiting Mom every couple of weeks; city band; sewing; planning menus so Dan doesn't have to cook; learning to machine quilt; reading more; playing in Chelsey's garden if it ever quits raining.  If you have things to add to my list, please let me know!

No comments: