Wednesday, August 18, 2010

School year has begun

I'm all settled into my new "new" room and feel pretty important to have a separate office. Of course, it's only because my desk wouldn't fit in my classroom :). We had open house/meet your teacher night last night. I had several of my families stop in. The building was very busy. That is a good omen for the coming year. Today we have professional development and tomorrow the kiddos arrive for the first official day. Part of my day today will be CPR training. I haven't been certified in several years and I have a student with a seizure disorder, so I need to be certified. Hopefully I will never have to put practice into reality.
Also yesterday I got to have coffee with an old teaching buddy who was in town. She lives near Branson now, for 12 years or so. I tried to fit in a visit between meetings and open house and also got to watch Charley while we were having coffee. He was a perfect gentleman, but he put my arm to sleep while he napped. I felt young, all the others at the table were retired.
The rain hasn't affected us personally, but we know plenty of people with serious water in their basements. Highway 92 east of town has been closed for days and the way the pictures look, some serious reconstruction may need to happen on the road. I don't know how this will affect the start of school. There are other routes, but buses will certainly have to backtrack a bunch.

No comments: